Shyam Ranganathan (CYA-E-RYT Gold Member)
- Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
- Website: www.yogaphilosophy.com
- E-mail: Private
- Service Offered: Philosophy Academic
- Certified: N/A
- Years of Practice: 27
- Teaching Experience: 17
- Professor, Guru or Teachers: I've had numerous professors over the years (across my BA, two MAs and a PhD), but I learned about Yoga and Indian philosophy by my own research. kleśa-karma-vipākāśayair-aparāmṛṣṭaḥ puruṣa-viśeṣa Īśvaraḥ . sa pūrveṣām-api guruḥ kālenānavacchedāt. (Yoga Sūtra I.24-26)
- Date Joined: October 01, 2019
- CYA Insurance: No
I'm a kid from Toronto! At the moment, I'm author of two books (on Indian ethics and philosophy), one translation of the Yoga Sūtra, two edited volumes (on Indian Ethics), and numerous academic papers. I wrote my PhD dissertation on the problem of how translation can be successful (without projecting on what we are trying to understand). I'm a faculty member of the Department of Philosophy at York University, and the York Center for Asian Research. My personal web page is shyam-ranganathan.info. My yoga school page is yogaphilosophy.com . I hold a BA, MA and PhD in philosophy, and an MA in South Asian Studies.
About My Service
I'm a research leader in the study of Indian practical (moral) philosophy. When I started (2002), the common view among academics was there was no such thing. After my books, papers and edited volumes, the view in academia is changed. I'm a translation theorist and translator of Patañjali’s Yoga Sūtra (Penguin 2008). I teach Yoga Philosophy as a scholar of philosophy and the Indian tradition. To date, I've taught for over 20,000 hours and over 3,000 students. My research on Yoga began with an MA in South Asian Studies, and continued as I was working on my PhD in philosophy. I'm excited to share my knowledge of yoga philosophy, but also provide philosophy modules that yoga teachers can use for their yoga teacher training, and also provide yoga philosophy teacher training, to certify interested yoga practitioners to teach yoga philosophy as part of their yoga teaching.