Lorna Seldon Burd (CYA-RYT 200 Member)
- Location: Campbell River, British Columbia Canada
- Website: N/A
- E-mail: Private
- Service Offered: Iyengar, Ashtanga, Yin, Resorative, Tensegrity
- Certified: Yoga Stream, Josey Slater
- Years of Practice: 16
- Teaching Experience: 10
- Professor, Guru or Teachers: Cynthia (South Africa) Winnie Young (founder of Young Yoga Teachers Alliance South Africa) alliance to Iyengar. Tich Nhat Hahn Mary-Jo Fetterly (Nelson) Josey Slater (Campbell RIver) Sandra Sammartino Elizabeth Claire Burr Judith Hansen Lasater Bernie Clarke Yin teacher training Tom Myers (via book study & YogaU online) Leslie Howard (via YogaU online)
- Date Joined: November 13, 2017
- CYA Insurance: No
I remember attending Yoga classes with my mother as a child and loving the playfulness of the poses. Throughout my life I have danced and when I first came to Canada from South Africa, I achieved my work status through teaching Ballet & Modern Dance.
I established 'Free Flight dance theatre' for children in Port McNeil where I combined dance & drama for 3 years. We had a magical time.
My life has been a continuous migration between Southern and Northern Hemisphere.
I was drawn back to Yoga when I had my children, and almost completed my YTT training in South Africa.
When we moved back to Campbell River in 2005 I began teaching adults, and then children's Yoga.
- Both programs developed very well and I rented space and taught out of Yoga Streams Studio, owned by Josey Slater.
I did a full YTT with Josey Slater, under the guidance of Sandra Sammartino- who has remained my guru ever since.
- I taught at the Community Centre for a few years, enjoying building a Yoga practice that anyone could attend at lunch times.
- I also developed a Yoga program for 'Campbell RIver Killer Whales' that ran very successfully for 5 years
- I also trained under Elisabeth Burr for many years, doing the Tensegrity Yoga Series.
In 2013, Josey left town and another student of hers - Dawn Pomponio and myself began Ocean Mountain Yoga. In 2 years we established a very strong, diverse Yoga school, with 9 excellent teachers, from different lineages.
We sold the business in 2015, as my mother was ill in South Africa and I needed to be with her. I took 2 years off and have returned to teaching at Ocean Mountain Yoga and subbing for other teachers.
I would like to begin working in depth with Teacher Training... both in South Africa as well as here in Canada. While attending a 5 day retreat with Sandra Sammartino this past week, Sandra has given the blessing of me self studying her Teacher Training program, with support from her and her already established teacher trainers.
I love nature & the inspiration that the outdoors gives us... so I see myself aligning students with the environment and with that hopefully to spend some of the time practicing outdoors as well as aligning them deep into their own amazing indoor universe.
About My Service
Right now: Weekly at OMY
Lunch time Inversions class
Upcoming in September 2017: 2x Ongoing classes/ week at Campbell RIver Recreation centre for mixed level of students, mostly aged 50+